HAIRY NOSED DAY 2019
For Hairy Nosed Day 2019, we'd like to celebrate the beauty of the Northern Hairy Nose Wombat by sharing some of the world's only professional documentary footage of the wombats in the wild.
Want to see this footage? There are two easy steps:
2) Send us photo of yourself, your classmates or colleagues to The Wombat Foundation requesting your copy of the documentary.
On Hairy Nose Day, May 11, everyone who has registered will receive a link to the professional documentary footage.
Be sure to Follow us on Facebook too!
Join us as we share the story of the wombats this Hairy Nose Day and work to bring them back from the brink of extinction.
HOLD A FUNDRAISING EVENT
At your school or workplace on Hairy-Nosed Day!
IDEAS FOR GOLD-COIN FUNDRAISING IN THE WORKPLACE:
- Organize a “Make a Hairy Nose” competition.
- (Take a photo and send it to us.)
- Charge work colleagues double for not wearing a Hairy Nose
- Have a morning or afternoon tea, or an after work function.
- Contact your local wildlife rescue group and get someone to come and give a talk on Wombats at lunchtime.
- Bring a soft toy wombat to work and have a “guess the name” competition with a box of chocs for the winner.
- Have a competition to come up with the “Best name for a wombat”.
- Organise a competition between teams at your workplace. Get each team to choose an endangered Australian species for a team name. Get each team to write a limerick or a poem. The boss can decide which team wins! You can send the limericks or poems to us. If they are suitable for general readership, we may publish them on our website.
A LITTLE BIT MORE MONEY OR EFFORT INVOLVED:
- Buy some Chocolate Wombats at Easter, put them in a cellophane covered basket and have an auction of tender for “a basket of wombats”.
- Buy some Chocolate Wombats at Easter and hold a “Champagne and Wombats" after work function, where everyone gets a glass or two of champagne and a chocolate wombat.
- The same idea can be applied a little more cheaply with “Furry Friends” chocolates (available all year at supermarkets).
- Plan a large dinner/cocktail function. We may be able to supply a “Drawcard speaker” on wombats. Contact us.
Jackie’s famous Hairy-Nosed truffle recipe!
- 100 gm dark chocolate
- 2 tb cream or coconut cream
- 2 tb butter or margarine
- 1 3/4 cups icing sugar (not icing mixture)
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 pk slivered almonds
- 4 strips of licorice or other whiskers to taste, cut into thin 10 cm strips
- Optional extra: 3 tb of rum for adults only hairy noses; half cup chopped glace fruit for rich fruit truffles.
Place chocolate and butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. take it out and press-it should be just melted but hold its shape. (If you overcook it will turn gritty and horrible). If not melted try another 20 seconds.
Stir in icing sugar and almonds and rum or glace fruit if you choose to use them. Roll onto balls, and roll each ball in cocoa.
Place the balls on a tray. Add two slivered almonds side by side for the giant nostrils, with whiskers on each side.
Store in a sealed container in the fridge. Makes about 20 small or 15 large hairy noses.
These are gluten free, and by using coconut cream and dairy free margarine, they can also be vegan.
Activities & Resources for teachers
Increase knowledge of the three species of wombats. The activities are in line with curriculum goals for 8-12 year olds across Australia.